March 30, 2008

Stumble Upon Raaja

You can define yourself a genuine fan or follower of something when you have learnt the art of distinguishing it/ them from the rest. So I feel, your benchmark to become a true Illaiyaraaja follower can be measured by the same postulate! But the challenge is, souls like Raaja are more trend setters than followers. And there are a few successful followers who tempt you to take the bait. So when you hear a good "Raaja - like" song that you have never heard before, the following can happen.

- You take a cautious approach.. You are not fully sure about its origin. Nonetheless you enjoy the song and make it a point to check who is the composer. When you find its not Raaja, you feel happy because you feel vindicated. (Eg: When I heard "Thulli Thulli pogum pennae"); But at the same time you feel sad because you couldn't be so sure yourself to begin with. You are still a boy, you are yet to make that crossover to a mature fan;

- Or You swear to death that, "this is Raaja..!"; Your beliefs are so strong that when you finally find out that its infact not Raaja, you see more red than disappointed. Because you refuse to believe the reality and rue on your wrong judgment at the same time.. because you have to deliberately downgrade the song you liked as it missed out on your definition of a good song, usually only accredited for Raaja's !! (Eg: When I heard songs like, "Oh... Ponmaanguyil Singaramaai", "Oru Kaadhal Enbadhu" for the first time); And actually on subsequent listening in hindsight, they no more seem as attractive as it was !!!

- Or You just know its Raaja. Verifying its authenticity is a mere matter of formality. (For example When I heard "IlaVenil Idhu Vaigasi Maadham" for the first time)

So recently I heard this one from a Talent hunt show - one from the 3rd category. The decent job of replication both by this aspiring singer and the accompanying orchestra didn't make me miss the original flavour for a first time listening.. The prelude was so rich with its whistle flute (like the one from the orchestration piece of "Isai Paadum Thendral"), that I was immediately convinced this is Raaja. Those Guitar strums through out the song and the rhythm arrangements with those variations.. Those out of the world chord sequences (Don't miss the augmentated chords on "Kathakal sollu nee" in first line.. bliss...) The unorthodox turn midway of the stanza's melody touching the chinna Gha and thus exhibiting the heights of innovation on an otherwise major oriented melody... I was dead sure this is Raaja. And I was smiling when the 2nd interlude started.. because I was expecting it to be strings show and sure it was.. that brahmaastra of Raaja, the "String Ensemble", again stamping its authority all over... my moments of self anointing glory.. for having expected the unexpected...

But a bigger boost when you come across such beauties is that, your day is made and you get this unusual satisfaction as if you have done something good yourself just listening to them while in reality the composer has just accomplished the divine task of exuberating his feelings through the listener.. The composition itself is a 20 or 30 or even centuries old is irrelevant, for its these numbers you call timeless...

With Love
Vicky

PS: Later I learnt from a friend that this song, 'Poonkaattinodum' is one of all time classic songs in Kerala from a movie called "Poomukhappadiyil ninneyum kaathu" and I might actually be jailed for tagging this an anonymous song.. I hope I am not alone !!

5 comments:

Aakarsh said...

the surprise for me was that you did not know this song. It is one of my Fav songs in IR-Fav combo. Brilliant orchestration. and such an endearing melody.This is the kind of IR music i am thirsty about these days.

and btw, how have u been doing? :) Been long time.please let me know your phone number.

Vignesh Subramanian said...

Aakarsh...
Doing fine here. and what about you..? Yes.. surprising it may sound, I never heard this song until now :-(
What I have always found strange is that, As far as I have seen, Genuine music lovers from other states have decent knowledge on Raaja's Tamil hits. However in my opinion the reverse is not true,which is a pity. I am not sure, if an avid Raaja follower from TN is aware of all his classics from Telugu/ Malayalam and Kannada. The sheer volume of Raaja's tamil hits keeps him content most of the time I guess !!

CRV said...

A great song from Raja. This song also appears as a pathos version with a totally different orchestration. If you hear both the interludes, you would appreciate the greatness of Raja more. The same film has another wonderful song - Konji karayalle, another pathos song.
Though you may be short of time, I request you to post more such articles and technical discussions on the song.

Anonymous said...

From Vel - Hi Vicky, excellent post - i agree 200% as i have been through the same myself - and guess what, if i had written on this theme, i would have picked 'oh ponmanguyil' too, which for long i thought was by IR. The charanams of deva's priya priya oh priya have vintage IR touches! But i guess i am a mature fan, as within 20-30 seconds into a song, i just know that it must/cant be IR ! But i still to date think 'oru kadhal enbadhu' was by IR....

Emjay said...

You are certainly not alone, Vicky. I try to do that all the time. And (as I mentioned in my blogs), usually interludes are the key. I distinguish mainly there....There are so many songs of Shankar Ganesh or Gangai Amaran that starts really well and once in interlude they are EXPOSED .. Hee Heee Heeeee...:)

Please do visit my blog:- http://7swara.blogspot.com